So, I haven't written in eight days...it is time once again to update you guys! I have had many more awesome experiences! I'm going to try and condense each one but it will be hard lol! Anyway, here are some things that have been going on recently:
-Friday Night Training: We have this every Friday until staff leaves (it is now on Friday mornings because we work Friday nights)....anyway I'm in the leadership track, mostly because I've been able to hear the basic lessons through stuff at NC State and through my Bible study...but it has been REALLY HELPFUL because of leading a study next year! We have been going over Discipleship and Bible Study Leadership over the last two weeks and it is great to see and be with a group of leaders! Not that the basic training isn't good either, but I'm just really excited to bring what God has shown me and the staff back to Raleigh!
-Saturday Night Outreach (Soularium): So, Saturday night we had another outreach time, and this time we set up Soularium booths in downtown Santa Cruz, the wharf, the beach, and the Pan...coming into it I was not a big fan of Soularium but we prayed about it a lot and trusted in God to provide...and it was really disorganized but the Lord helped to break down the barriers I had set up regarding Soularium. Out here, it works really well! We got into several good conversations with it; this community is really receptive to tools such as Soularium...so that was awesome! Anyway, this coming Saturday we have a BIG outreach: a Hawaiian-themed party with outreach in mind...we have all been inviting our co-workers and I really think there will be a big crowd there...just want to rest on God, know we are 100% successful, and see what He does!
-Sunday Afternoon (also known as MAN TIME!!): Sunday afternoon brought one of the most awesome times of the project: men's and women's time...going into it I knew three things would happen: 1) we would tackle each other in some form 2) we would throw something at each other really hard 3) we would get in the water (which, by the way, is 55 DEGREES!!!)....and all of those things happened! We played volleyball, a game called ring of death which is sorta like flag football except it's head to head and you can tackle and stuff...really more a quickness game though...we also played dodgeball and fetch (just like a golden retriever) in the Monterey Bay! Afterwards, we had the BEST meal ever...STEAK, CHICKEN, corn on the cob, and watermelon...with NO UTENSILS!!! and after that were haagen-dazs ice cream bars! It was simply awesome...then we had time to see what it looked like to be a man of God, which was uplifting
-Monday Night Live: We had another great MNL; Mike spoke (how could it not be great with Mike Mehaffie speaking?) He spoke about how to walk with God for a lifetime, which was incredible...and great worship as well...reminds me a lot of NC State's Cru meetings....except with maybe 1/10 of the people! It makes for a good feel though....we are all friends here, and we all see each other every day which is awesome!
-Action Groups: Wednesday night brought the second week of action groups; this week we looked at how God values glorifying Him more than anything else, and what it looks like to live that way...it was AWESOME! Many of you may know 1 Corinthians 10:31 is my favorite verse; I think it sums up what our lives should be: in everything, give God the glory, and that's exactly what the chapter stressed, through many Biblical examples...I really felt engaged into the conversation this week; a lot of times I take a more relaxed role but for some reason I had a lot of input...God really showed me many things about glorifying Him! I pray that He is my "pure and holy passion" and that I continue to look to the cross in all things
-Thursday Night AKA FREE NIGHT: Thursday night was a free one for us. First, I went with several friends to Kianti's, which is a really good Italian place downtown...I got lasagna, being the basic person I am, and it was good (although IMO second to Amedeo's) and then I came back to the Pan to watch UNC get STOMPED in the College World Series!!! After that, we went to play Laser Tag and Bowling, both of which were really fun! The bowling alley is better than Rainbow Lanes...so it was nice
-Friday (PAYDAY!!): So, we got our first check....YAY!! We also met to get things ready for the HAWAIIAN party tomorrow! We also had our first night shift...which meant for me 3:30 to 10:30...not bad, actually a lot of fun! I got to work at the log flume ride, which was busy initially, but later thinned out really well...by 9:30 there was hardly anyone left...I enjoyed being able to interact with coworkers and just kid around...had a chance to talk with several coworkers today, which is a great thing....probably the most far-reaching ministry we have! Also, I got to ride the Giant Dipper (roller coaster) at night, just before we closed for the night...it is a great ride, especially at night! Then, we went to Pizza My Heart downtown for a midnight meal...another sweet day!
Other thoughts:
-I was really frustrated today with the Hawaiian party preparations: everybody was freaking out about it and there was no need for it...fortunately I have calmed down since then and everything seems to be ok. I still cannot get over how INCREDIBLE the fellowship is here! We are always doing something together, and we just bond so well! I can see myself doing something within Crusade for a living...the level of bonding within Cru is amazing because everyone loves the Lord and then others! I'm not saying for sure but I'd love to make a career w/in it!
Prayer Requests:
-The party tomorrow, that it would be glorifying to God and outreach-oriented
-Our hearts, that they are Christ-centered and that everything is with pure motives
-Diligence in talking with coworkers and investing in their lives
-The Santa Cruz community in general
I know this is super super super long but it spans about 10 days so sorta had to be! Anyway, until I type again...
In Christ's Love,
Johnathan
Philippians 3:7-8
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment